The world of Healthcare Social Media (#HCSM) is a massive one. There are opinions and feelings that regularly come up throughout the week, and during the Sunday #HCSM Twitter chat sessions (8PM Central Time). Below is a list of Healthcare Social Media experts that understand how the Healthcare Social Media world works. They are regular contributors in the community, social media believers, and advocates for the inclusion of Social Media in Healthcare. While Healthcare Social Media is a wonderful medium for dialogue and discussion, it is a recurring conversation that tweets, Facebook posts, and website comments are not medical advice.
- Dr. Ryan Madanick is the current moderator of the #MedED chat session that takes place on Twitter. He is a gastroenterologist, as well as the Gastroenterology and Hepatology Fellowship Director at the University of North Carolina. Dr. Madanick blogs about gastroenterologist topics on his blog Gut Check. You can find Dr. Madanick on Twitter at @RyanMadanickMD.
- Dr. Howard Luks is a Board-Certified Orthopedic Surgeon practicing out of the New York area. Dr. Luks is the Chief of Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy at University Orthopedics, PC and the Westchester Medical Center, and finds himself in a MD 2.0 role. As a digital strategist, Dr. Luks has made a point of building a strong online presence. You can find Dr. Luks on his website HowardLuksMD.com, Twitter at @hjluks, Facebook, and Rebelmouse.
- Dr. Mike Sevilla is a family physician in northeastern Ohio. Dr. Sevilla has been active in the social media arena since 2005, but under the alias Doctor Anonymous. Dr. Sevilla is very busy on BlogTalkRadio with over 250 episodes that discuss medicine and social media topics. You can find Dr. Sevilla at his website Family Medicine Rocks, Facebook, Twitter at @drmikesevilla, and on BlogTalkRadio.
- Ed Bennett is an active participant in the Healthcare Social Media sphere. He currently manages web operations at the University of Maryland Medical Center. His blog EdBennett.org does a wonderful job focusing on social media in the healthcare community. Mr. Bennett is also on the Advisory Board for the Mayo Clinic Center for Health Care Social Media. You can find Ed at his website EdBennett.org, and on Twitter at @EdBennett.
- Dana Lewis is the founder and current moderator of the healthcare social media (#HCSM) chat session that started January of 2009 and now extents to five continents. When she is not leading the #HCSM chat, she is developing and implementing strategies at the Swedish Medical Center in Seattle. You can find blog posts from Dana at the Swedish, and on Twitter at @danamlewis.
- Dr. Kevin Pho is an internal medicine physician that has gained the reputation of being the internet’s top social media voice in medicine and healthcare. Dr. Pho is also a regular contributor to USA Today’s opinion column lending his unique HCSM perspective. His website Kevinmd.com is regularly cited by major news publications, because of his ability to pull back the curtain in the medical world. You can find Dr. Pho at his website Kevinmd.com, on Twitter at @kevinmd, and on Facebook.
- Dr. Jennifer Gunter is a board certified OB/GYN in Canada and the United States, as well as a pain medicine physician. Dr. Gunter blogs about medicine and is a regular participant in the #HCSM chat sessions. You can find her on her website DrJenGunter.com, Facebook, and on Twitter at @DrJenGunter.
- Dr. Mark Ryan is a family medicine doctor from the Richmond, VA area primarily working with underserved individuals and their community. Dr. Ryan is interested in the power of social media, and utilizing it to communicate with patients, providers, and the community. He is a regular contributor to SMHCOP, which is a blog on Social Media Healthcare. You can find Dr. Ryan at his website RichmondDoc and on Twitter at @RichmondDoc.
- Dr. Bobby Ghaheri is an ear, nose, and throat surgeon based out of Portland, OR. He is a master of the Twitter verse, and does so with a great deal of humor. Dr. Ghaheri has a very interesting and informative Social Media policy on his website The Wrinkle Whisperer that sets the tone for how he uses #HCSM. He is a regular participant in the #HCSM chat session, and a lover of bacon. You can find Dr. Ghaheri on his website The Wrinkle Whisperer, on Facebook, and on Twitter at @DrGhaheri.
Who did we miss? Let us know in the comments below!